Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Couponin' and Cookin'!

Just thought I'd share some couponing fun from this week.

This picture was all for FREE! From some place or another online, I've requested free product coupons, and here's the freebies that showed up in my mailbox.

And this picture was CHEAP! Most of it was free or pennies...and along with tax the entire haul added up to $1.90!! My favorite is the java chip ice cream...can you say YUM?!?!


And look what I've been up to in the kitchen...

I have never, ever in my life made lasagna. I love lasagna, I've just never tackled it. But I ended up with some lasagna noodles for free with my couponing a while back, and I ran across a recipe that looked easy and that looked like I could alter so it fit in with Joshua's Weight Watchers point realm...so I went for it. And I do have to say, I'm pretty darn impressed with myself. It was easy, it looked like lasagna is supposed to, and best of all...Joshua LOVED it. Yup, I got a "this is awesome!" from my chef husband...the ultimate compliment...woohoo!!!

Here's the recipe if you're interested. I'll put my ingredients down, and the fuller fat alternative in parenthesis.

1 lb 93% fat free ground turkey (or ground beef)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 t basil
1 t oregano
26-28 oz jar pasta sauce
salt and pepper
1 c low fat chicken stock/broth
8 oz fat free cream cheese (or full fat), cubed
2 cups 2% fat shredded mozzarella (or regular)
6-8 no boil whole wheat lasagna noodles (or regular)
1/2 c grated parmesan
2 c frozen, thawed, drained spinach

Heat oven to 400 and grease 9x13 pan. Cook the turkey, garlic, herbs and seasonings in a skillet until done, making sure to break up well. Stir in pasta sauce and heat through. In a saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil and add cream cheese. Reduce heat to low and stir with a whisk for about 6 mins, until smooth. Spread 1/2 of meat mixture into bottom of pan and top with 1/3 of the mozzarella. Top with 3 or 4 lasagna noodles. Spread spinach evenly over noodles. Pour the cream cheese sauce over the spinach and noodles. Add another 1/3 of the mozzarella. Arrange the remaining 3 or 4 noodles on top. Spoon remaining meat mixture on noodles as evenly as possible. Top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake covered for 35 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool 15 mins to set. Cut into 10 servings (under 6 Weight Watchers points per serving).

1 comment:

Mrs.Oz said...

thanks for sharing the recipe. i don't make it often, but Rick whishes i did. good to have a healthy version.