Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Home made spaghetti sauce

Remember the 7 tomatoes from my veggie co-op post? Well, we don't eat many tomatoes around here since Joshua is allergic. He can have tomato paste, so we usually stick to that for pasta sauce etc. But I was faced with what is ALOT of tomatoes for our family (I still had 6 of them 10 days later)...and after the kids vetoed "baked tomatoes stuffed with rice" as one of the options...I concocted a spaghetti sauce recipe from several I found online. So if you find yourself with a plethora of tomatoes or just want to try a new recipe...here ya go!

Nicely dice one tomato and toss into empty crock pot. Dice half an onion, saute until transluscent and put in crockpot.

Then roughly chunk up several more (I had 5) and then in batches, zip them in the blender until mostly smooth. Dump into crockpot.

Add basil, marjoram, oregano, garlic and salt to taste (about a half to one teaspoon each?...I just sorta sprinkled some in today).

Cook on high for 2-3 hours. Then put 1 can of tomato paste into a 2 cup measuring cup and fill to top with hot water. Stir until blended well and add to crock pot. Add in 1/2 pound of cooked ground beef, if desired. Let simmer on high for another hour or two. Serve over hot cooked noodles and sprinkle with parmesan. We are kind of spaghetti sauce snobs...we love JoJo's sauce and we like standard from-an-envelope-with-tomato-paste recipes...so we were pleasantly surprised when the monkeys and I all enjoyed this!

And this picture is of Carter's bowl. It's included because as I snapped a pic of mine before we ate Carter slid his bowl toward me and said this...
"Mom, take a picture of mine because I'd really like to see MY dinner up on the computer later!"
LOL...here ya go, Boog!

No comments: