Monday, December 1, 2008

Now what??



So Thanksgiving was yummy and your fridge is now plumb full of all the leftovers...now what??

Make soup!

Not being much of a "from scratch without a recipe" kind of cook, I'm rather proud of myself that I have a pot of soup simmering away on the stove, "getting happy" as Emeril would put it, that will be tonight's dinner.

I sauteed some fresh carrots, celery, onion and garlic that we had extra from Josh's holiday cooking and added 10 cups of water and some chicken base. Then I pulled apart all of the "hard to get" meat (yanno, the meat on the bones...again I'm rather proud of myself as I was VERY tempted to use the nicely sliced white breast meat that is in there...it looked sooo easy to just dice that...but I was a good frugal girl) and added it to the pot of veggies and broth. Then salt, pepper, 1c of rice and 1 can of white beans jumped in to round out my leftover soup. Very basic soup, but for me it's a pretty marvelous feat!! And we have a bunch of salad and Josh's family recipe of cheese braid bread to round out the rest of dinner. Perfect cold winter day dinner if I do say so myself!!

I'm sure hoping it turns out tasting yummy cuz the house is smelling very homey...wonder if the big monkeys will be proud when they walk in the door here in a minute or two?

More on Thanksgiving and Christmas later, just had to share about my soup while I had a free minute!!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

So funny, I'm doing that for dinner tonight!
One little trick is you can boil the whole bit of turkey, bones and all and the meat will fall off the bone plus you will have better stock. You will need to strain it because it's bitty. Pick out the meat, but pit into the clean broth and then add other stuff. Makes the sitting and tearing a lot easier. I know, I hate that job.
Hope it was good! Thanks for sharing, I've been wondering how you are doin':).

Anonymous said...

Your soup was excellent....=0)
Luv you more...