Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Announcement #2~~Surprising my dad!

So the other bit of news I couldn't share last week was the trip I took to CA this past weekend to surprise my dad at his retirement party. I was just busting wanting to share but Dad reads here periodically and I couldn't have the surprise ruined, could I?

It seems like we've been waiting for Dad's retirement for YEARS (right, Mom?!) and finally on June 13 Dad went to work for the very last time, after over 30 years of service. Mom threw him a little "in office" surprise party with cake and goodies. And then his official retirement party thrown by the powers that be was June 28. Josh and I have long talked of me getting out to CA to be there to honor Dad, but costs and schedules have made the trip out questionable. Luckily about two weeks out from the party, Josh had stashed away enough frequent flyer miles to get me out there and he was able to get Friday off of work to keep the kids and I was able to call my mom and tell her I was coming!!

Dad's birthday was the 26th, and I broke the surprise to him that evening, that he needed to come pick me up at the airport the next morning, as was coming out to PARTY! It was a crazy trip, I flew out of TX, into LAX, drove up into the central CA valley, stayed at my parents' house, drove 2hrs over to where dad's party was, drove 2 hrs back, then back down to LAX and then flew back to TX...all in less than 48 hrs. BUT it was soooo worth it! It was so nice to hang out with my parents, I visited with my dad's brother who flew in for the party that I hadn't seen in two decades, and I got to see my own brother too! The party was very nice. I saw so many people that I hadn't seen since I was about Emilee's age...and several strangers came up to me telling me of what I wonderful guy my dad was (I already knew THAT *wink*) and how much he'd be missed. Dad received several awards and gifts...most importantly a hand made cannon (sort of a trophy) that is the coveted treasure by upcoming retirees, signifying that Retirement is really here.

Here are a couple of pictures...




And I can't end the story of my weekend without giving a big I LOVE YOU to Josh. He stayed home with the kids while I jetted off on my trip. He dealt with the dishwasher breaking and Carter up ALL night both nights, planted a garden with the kids AND still met me at the airport with a huge smile and "Gosh I missed you" and treated me to champagne and a ridiculously yummy dinner of seared yellowtail tuna sashimi when we got home. What a treat...and what an amazing husband!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

wow...congrats to your dad! so great that you got to be there (so this is why you breezed by eh?).
Um, Josh, can you tudor my husband online to cook?!! Oh, my word, that is so way beyond spaghetti. I'm so jealous!
Kudos for holding the fort so well.:)My man shines at that one too and I am so thankful cause there are not many dad's who do.