Saturday, January 22, 2011

YUMMY, who knew?!


Things have been pretty quiet around here...we're just settling into our new Idaho routine...so I don't have a ton to share yet. I could post some pictures of me cleanin' this big ole house haha! I'd forgotten a bit how much work it takes to keep up on 2800 sqft of baseboard! Oh, and there IS a post coming about Monkey #1...but I gotta get her to sit still (read--chill out her social life) so I can snap a few pics first.

Anyway, I did want to share an AMAZING recipe we tried last night. Now it should first be said that we are a typical American family...requiring MEAT (and quite a bit of it!) at every dinner. BUTTTTTT, being mindful of health factors and budget, and thinking just a tad outside of the box lately has lended us to considering trying "meatless" meals. Joshua saw a friend share a recipe on Facebook for vegetarian enchiladas and we thought we'd give it a try (and what made me jump was I had ALL of the ingredients on hand!). So here it is...

2 or 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can of diced green chiles
1/4 of a red onion, diced fine
1/2 T cumin
1 T chili powder
14 oz of canned chile verde sauce
8 oz of shredded cheese
10 flour tortillas
sour cream and/or cilantro to garnish

Preheat oven to 350. Cook the sweet potato (place in pot, covered with water, add a pinch of salt, boil until tender 12 mins, drain). In a large bowl place red onion, black beans, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, 1/2 the cheese and cooked sweet potato and mix well. Place about 1/3 of the chile verde sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish. Assemble the enchiladas by placing about 1/2 cup of the filling in a tortilla and roll up. Top with remaining chile verde sauce and remaining cheese. Bake for 20 mins and serve topped with chopped chilantro and sour cream if desired.

You can adjust how spicy they are by playing with the cumin, chili powder and onion (my kids panted a bit last night so I'll be cutting it back some next time). I also made spanish rice to go along with it. We always have three things on our dinner plates...a meat, a carb/starch and a veggie. Last night, there were only two...it looked like we were missing the vegetables. And Joshua joked "guess we can skip the veggies tonight, eh?!"

2 comments:

Jamie said...

YUM YUM YUM! I am definitely going to try this out! We need to learn how not have meat every night too :-) Thanks for the recipe!

Alicia said...

THis must be SM's recipe. I keep hearing the chili is good too. I'm going to try that one tonight.