Sunday, July 31, 2011

May I Introduce...

"Regular Fish"

Yes, that is his name, capital R, capital F...Regular Fish.

I've been taking our dog, Reese, to the vet ALOT. It's probably a blog post in itself to explain all of the things wrong (but thankfully getting better) with the dog...but I'll betcha if I put pen to paper about it, I'd convince myself to leave the side gate open and not worry if the furball came back. Ok, I seriously wouldn't leave the gate open...well maybe HAHA...but darnit, he's drained our savings account of ALOT of our fun money the past couple of months with all of his ailments. So no blog post on the dog...Oops...I digress. So I've been taking Reese to the vet, which is at Petsmart, which means that Carter requires a tour by the fish tanks to dream of one day having a pet of his own. (Remember, Emilee has birds and Trevor has hermit crabs...) Well recently, Em and Trev offered to pitch in together and buy Carter a fish and the necessary supplies (not that I in ANY way wanted another pet in the house, but the sibling love thing did tug at my heart!)

So after being carefully selected from dozens of betas at Petsmart, Carter happily hung onto the little cup of blue water and his new pet for the drive home...


So how'd he get THAT name, you ask? Well on the drive home we all were asking Carter what he'd like to name his fish. Bob, maybe, or Nemo. Nope, he wouldn't hear any of our suggestions. He would say "he's just regular fish". We thought that he was not exactly finding the right words and just telling us he didn't want to name him Bob Fish or Nemo Fish...that he just wanted to name him Fish. We kept trying to suggest cute names for his fish and he kept telling us "just regular fish". So one of us said, "OK Carter, Fish is a nice name, we'll call him Fish" and he gave one more try at getting us to understand him. "NO!! His name is Regular Fish!!" AH! Duh, sorry Booga! And so it stuck hahahaha!

Regular Fish gets a weekly bath and here's Carter poised and ready to help scoop him out into the hold cup while I scrub his bowl. And of course, what is an important event like cleaning the fish tank if you don't dress up in your finest suit and tie all by yourself?!

PS. I have to add a last comment here...do you know how HARD it is to photograph a fish?!?! I seriously spent three different photo sessions trying to get a decent pic of this fish. He is soooo wiggly and swimmy! Every time I'd get in close to take a shot of him when he was splayed out nicely to the side, he'd get excited that I was close to the bowl and turn to face me and dance about! And the curve of the bowl was NO help in focusing the camera. The monkeys thought I was nuts as I danced around the kitchen island, going round and round trying to snap a shot before Regular Fish jetted off to another corner of his bowl. Seriously, all you fish owners...try to catch a nice shot of your water friend and let me know how you do! :-)

No comments: