Friday, May 2, 2008

Meet Patrick



So we have a new addition to our family. He's Trevor's new pet hermit crab. We got him on St. Patrick's Day and he's shamrock colored...so Trevor named him Patrick. Now the man at the cart in the mall said they were the world's easiest pets...not much to ever do for them, just feed them the pellets every three days, water every day and enjoy in the cute little plastic tank he came in. *BUT* as I've done a bit of internet research after we got him, these little creepy critters can be complicated and quite involved. They like all sorts of fresh fruits and vegetables, they need exercise and swimming pools, they need humidity/temperature controls...oh and the biggie...they need other shells/homes to switch into. YIKES!! What have I gotten myself into?! Well I'm happy to report that several weeks later Patrick is surviving in his meager surroundings with an occasional "bath" and a banana slice as a treat. Baths really freak me out. Patrick seems to enjoy them, he comes to life and runs around in the shallow water and gets some good exercise and moisture. But when I pick him up to put him back in his habitat, EVERY time he sorta freaks out and crawls 75% of the way out of his shell. I'm not sure what it is about him crawling out of his shell all the way that bothers me, but it really gives me the willies. I've added a couple of pictures of Patrick, along with the one of him in his new egg shell. Aparently these little guys like/need calcuim so they recommend putting a clean egg shell half in their habitat. Well Patrick has taken to it like it's a new house, not snack.

PS...I'm taking any suggestions on "how not to kill your hermit crab" from you seasoned owners!!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

that's good to know, caedmon has been wanting one of those for a long time. I have heard from a neighbor parent that they are in fact pretty easy. I wonder if the internet info is just overkill in some ways like looking up medical stuff about humans, it's a little too much sometimes.
The egg shell house is cute! I wonder if you are supposed to cruch it up into bits?
At least you dont' have to clean the tank! We had to give our neighbor the fishtank because between life, puppy, and outdoor cats, we just could not keep it up fast enough. They are doing a good job of it though (they have one kid) and we can visit it anytime!

Karen said...

Patrick really is pretty easy. Food and water, treats when I can remember, and take him back to the guy at the mall every four months for fresh sand ($5 charge which Trev has to cover half of from his allowance). At least that is the plan we are on lol...hopefully it works out...cuz you are on the right track...I'm hoping all the internet stuff I've read is dramatic hype for people who are VERY into their hermit crabs and the basics will do just fine.

Anonymous said...

you are too funny! I actually cut coupons for the 1st time again in years. Still have yet to use them:) smooches